Monday, April 4, 2016

Mir geht ein Licht auf


Hallo liebe Freunde und Familie!
 
Well how do you do? Here is the one and only Elder Foster....in the Berlin Germany Mission. I assume there is at least one more out in the world somewhere. But this week was good to say the least. I originally thought that we weren't going to get as much done because we had to go to Berlin this week, so I figured we would have less time than usual but actually we accomplished more than we did last week which is pretty cool to say the least.

There is a lot to say about the week but not too much time and not too much brain power either haha. But anyways on Monday after emailing all of you, we went over to the Mitev family's house, so that we could give their baby a blessing. Recently I have had a lot of opportunities to give people blessings. And I can only say that I am grateful to be able to have the priesthood and to be able to help others with it. As of recent I have had lots of thoughts concerning this subject. But it is safe to say that the power of God is real and that I have seen it bless the lives of others and I am just glad that I could play a small role in it.

Tuesday we had our last lesson with Eleonora. Because she is now back in Russia. And it was actually a really great lesson. We will definitely miss her. By the end she thanked me and told me that she needed to talk to somebody about this kind of stuff and that is why she met me here in Germany. It is okay though because we have her contact info. So we can keep in touch and make sure she keeps reading in the Book of Mormon we gave her. After that we hurried off to an appointment that we had and then found out that he moved out a couple days before....ha real funny. But it was all okay because the guy who answered the door became a new investigator. Woo!

On Wednesday we went to a Trainer/Trainee Conference in Berlin. Which took up the whole day. It was a good conference though and I got to see a lot of missionaries that I knew so it wasn't a bad day. We also had a little bit of time to visit the Brandenburger Tor and the Reichstag. But other than that it wasn't too exciting of a day. We got caught up on the way back and got home a lot later than expected otherwise we could have done a little bit of work when we got back.

Thursday we had district meeting with the zone-leaders and a mini exchange after that. I think the more district meetings I have the more I like them or get them hang of them. And by that I mean creating an environment where we don't just sit there and stare at someone while they teach. But instead that we learn together and learn from the Spirit. I'm not sure why but it seems the more I try to plan something the worse it gets but when I just throw something together at the last minute and just try to follow the Spirit then everything goes swimmingly. Koffi also had his baptismal interview on this day and he passed it. Woo! Which means he has the go ahead to get baptized. Hopefully, that will happen this week. Then we had a great lesson with Patrick one of the new converts in the ward and then we had English class. No idea why I am teaching it because I honestly have no business teaching English. But good thing I am teaching it backwards from German. Because I actually know the grammar for German.

Friday we had a spontaneous lesson with one of our investigators who technically has schizophrenia. But it actually went really well and he was very responsive and very humble. I mean it was a little creepy when he told me that he hears a voice in his head. And that sometimes it is the voice of God.....but something really cool with that is after we talked to him about the Restoration and even showed him a little film segment of the First Vision. He turns to me and asks, "So those voices in my head...they don't have anything to do with God do they?" I thought that was pretty cool that he recognized that as we were with him. But don't worry, in case you are worrying. Because he is a perfectly reasonable man and it is not as creepy as it may sound.
And he is getting professional help. We are just helping him to strengthen himself spiritually. The best kind of help that someone can get!

Also on that day we went on a little nature excursion with one of our investigators from Iran who told us that it was nature day in Iran and that she and her friends were gonna go outside in the sun and just enjoy the nature and that we were invited. So we went. It was nice and we, of course were able to talk about some of our message with her friends. So it wasn't a waste of time by any means.

On Saturday before we started our General Conference adventure we had the opportunity to meet a couple more people. And one of them being a new investigator. And let me tell you....he is the most humble Muslim I have ever met in my life. I mean I have met a lot of Muslims on my mission and I will have to say that 95% of them are very nice people and more often than not they invite us in to talk to them, far more than the Germans do. And in case you are wondering, we don't have any extra safety measures since the recent attacks. I mean we already have pretty strict rules to begin with and so we shouldn't be in a dangerous situation to begin with unless we are, and here is the keyword, not being obedient. Yes, in case you still haven't figured it out yet, obedience brings blessings. Obviously things can still happen to those being at the wrong place at the wrong time. But the Lord will still bless us even in those situations. Anyway, getting back on topic. We met with this guy and it was a wonderful lesson and at the end after discussing lots of different things and going into detail on various different ideas. By the end he had quite a good understanding and I simply asked him if he would be baptized if he received an answer from God that the Book of Mormon was true. And he said yes which is pretty amazing when you consider the fact that he is a Muslim. But that involves another story that I don't have any time for.

Sunday obviously we had the wonderful opportunity to watch Conference and listen to the words of living prophet and apostles! I will certainly take time later to read and listen to these wonderful talks again. But before I go I would like to say that I would rather have these living  prophet and apostles than all the written works that we have today because none of them convey the word of God direct to us now, as do the words of a Prophet or a man bearing the Holy Priesthood in our day and generation.

Hopefully we can all understand that the doctrines of the gospel are revealed through the Spirit to Prophets, not through the intellect to scholars or any other earthly office. I leave that testimony with you in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen!

I love you and I pray for you!

Tschüss,
Elder Foster

No comments:

Post a Comment