Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Das kommt mir spanisch vor!


Willkommen zu meinen Albträumen!


Why hello. Welcome to another addition of the German Crusades of Elder Foster. First off I hope you have had a great week and that the weather has been just right. Here we have many mists that obscure our paths. In fact, and I am not quite sure if I have said it before but every once and a while the mist or fog is so thick that when we wake up. All that the eye can see is white. I mean we do live on the 11th floor so you already feel like you are living up in the clouds but when it happens it really does add to the October feeling of Halloween. I know it is now November but it added to the season at least for one month. Speaking of Halloween, it is actually getting bigger here in Germany. Last year I didn't really see anyone dressed up so that was kind of a bummer, seeing as we went right into the city center to see if we would see a bunch of dressed up people but to no avail. However this year as we were in an appointment with some of our investigators. A group of about 7 kids rang the door bell. Hilariously our investigators didn't know very much German so we had to go to the door and tell the children that they didn't have any candy. Sad I know right? But what was funny is that one of their roommates walked out of the bathroom with his shirt off and then got all excited and wanted to get a picture with the German kids in their costumes. So here is this tall black shirtless Muslim dude standing behind all these children as we take a picture of them. Haha I have to say it was quite a sight to behold. 


So we ended up meeting with the Vietnam lady from the restaurant that I was talking about last week. And so we went to her aunt's house because of course we couldn't teach her alone being a single lady and all. But what was messed up was the moment I walk in the door. Her aunt's 4 year old boy begins attacking me the minute I walk through the door. I mean he is laughing his head off the entire time he is throwing punches at me and almost spearing me with his head in some fragile places and in the meantime he doesn't even pay attention to my companion so the almost the whole time I am there I have to fight off this little kid and even his 9 year old sister joins in on it. So I am fighting off two hysterically laughing little children and the whole time they didn't even touch my companion. I swear these kids just knew that my grandpa was in the Vietnam War! The whole time I just keep telling them "ganz ruhig, ganz ruhig!" Until they just start repeating it back to me and I am like no! That is not what I am telling you to do! Finally the mom comes in and she says one word and they immediately calm down and get away from me. And I am just siting there surprised thinking what is this black magic?! Later on her aunt asked us if we wanted food but we said no because we were supposed to go to a ward event where we were gonna have food. But then she says, oh but don't you just want to try a little bit? And so we finally said yes to trying a little bit of it. But then 20 minutes later we come to find out that she prepared a whole meal for us. She thought she was being sneaky. However I must admit that the Vietnamese food that she prepared for us turned out to be quite delicious. In the end though it did not turn out in our favor because we had to eat even more food at the church later. However it was nice meeting with them and hopefully in the future we will have more opportunities to meet with them. And her name is Mai by the way. I forgot to mention that part. She was even nice enough to call me on Sunday and tell me Happy Birthday so that was pretty cool. 


Speaking of birthdays one of the members in the Prenzlau branch has his birthday on the same day as mine. His name is Gerd Hanneman although I just know him as Bruder Hanneman. But usually when he comes to church he just wears jeans and a white shirt not even a button up shirt but a plain white shirt. But when it's his birthday he suddenly decides to wear a suit. And the whole time I am thinking, you have had these clothes this entire time?! Why haven't you been coming to church like this every week?! Every body in the branch was also freaking out because they had never seen him wear that stuff at church before. Anyways none of you have to worry about whether I did something special for my birthday or not because the Porters or the senior couple took care of that. They are basically my new set of grandparents, although I may be their unwanted grandchild haha. No offense towards my real grandparents as well. Haha just think of them as the fulfillment to your prayers. For all the things you can't do for me because you are so far away. 


All in all things are going well, and we are finding new people and doing new things and preparing 3 people for baptism. But I must admit things are still pretty difficult. Being a district-leader and being in this area is not an easy thing for me. More often than not I feel like someone else could be doing a better job than what I am doing. Even then I am grateful for the time that I have spent here. I am grateful for the many tender-mercies that the Lord gives me on a daily-basis. I am thankful for the inspiration I receive in the very moment where I feel like I am about to give up because I have no idea what I am doing. I am truly learning to trust in the Lord with all my heart and to pray with all my heart and believe that what I have humbly asked for will be given to me in his own time and way. When I feel like I am buried underneath mountains, he gives me the strength and courage to dig my way out from underneath them. I am truly grateful for the love that my Lord offers me. I cannot express what thankfulness I have for my Lord. I plead and pray that I may continue upon this path. 


I wish you all a wonderful week and I thank you as well for all the birthday wishes that I have received. 


Tschüss,
Elder Foster


 

No comments:

Post a Comment